Thursday, December 9, 2010

Remembering Homer Mensch


Today I am remembering the late, great Homer Mensch who died five years ago today. I had the honor of studying with Mr. Mensch while I was a student at the Manhattan School. I could tell you all about the wonderful things he did professionally but instead I'd like to add a few personal quips...

One of my favorite things was his level of "casual" professionalism. Every week I would take a lesson from him in his own apartment and every week, without fail, he would be waiting for me with shined shoes and a freshly pressed shirt. He showed respect to everyone. Even the scrubby kid in the Dead Kennedy's tee shirt with half her hair burned off because her "friend at NYU" tried to bleach it the night before. He was the classiest man I've ever known.

He also had a "phone crush" on my mom. Now, he never once met my mother but would tell me week after week about "what a lovely woman she is" because she would chat with him occasionally when he called to schedule lessons. Obviously he had good taste. My mom rules.

He only drank decaf. He taught almost 50 lessons a week and only drank decaf. That's impressive.

He played on the original soundtrack to Jaws. Du-duh. Du-duh. Du-duh. You've all heard him and he invokes fear in you! Du-duh. Du-duh du-duh du-duh duduhdudhudhudhhdudhdudhhdhduhbgdhjduduhdh! JAWS!

He was a total badass tennis player. Seriously. Almost went pro.

He was a pretty good tuba player too.

He would casually refer to the one and only Mr. Leonard Bernstein as "Lenny" as if you all were the best of friends. I thought that was so cool.


I could go on about all the little things I remember about my time with Mr. Mensch but the underlying point is that he was one of the most influential people in my life. In ways he probably never realized he affected me so positively. He was an amazing man who offered his time and knowledge to so many young musicians. When I visited with him years after graduating he welcomed me into his home as he always did and showed interest in my personal endeavors in an almost grandfatherly sort of way. I feel lucky to have studied and spent time with such a man. A true legend.

4 comments:

  1. Homer Mensch,
    On this date 103 years ago, one of the most prominent and influential Bass players and Pedagogues in the world was born (November 14, 1914).
    Of course, I am very partial to this man's abilities as a Musician, Teacher, and Person since I was one of his students.
    Mr. Mensch taught and influenced a whole generation of Bass players such .He undoubtedly had a huge influence on several generations of Bass players in the USA and around the world.
    He was Loved and Respected by many, and is missed by all. Unfortunately, we lost him in 2005, but his musical and human sprit lives in us all who were lucky enough to know him.
    Please look up his BIO on Wikipedia. You all will be surprised how much you know his work, for example the movie Jaws (that scary bass part), or the record so loved by many bass players by Jaco Pastorius.
    He definitely deserves a prominent spot in the history of music !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started studying with Homer Mensch from the fall of 1984 and through my years at Manhattan School of Music (I graduated with an undergraduate degree there in May of 1990.) as well as a few yesye afterward. Mr. Mensch was a great teacher. Sure, I sometimes would feel discouraged but he always had something positive to say in every lesson and he was very encouraging. Even though I am not playing the bass now, I think about Mr. Mensch a great deal and how he influenced me as a person and a student. I feel he lived up to his name as he was a "mensch" in the true sense of the word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait... his name was actually 'Mr Mensch'?

    My Jewish neighbours call any reliable classy person 'Mr Mensch'. (Regardless of gender). Like other people might call someone a 'stand-up guy' or 'solid'.

    Sounds like your guy was a real Mr Mensch, in multiple ways.

    ReplyDelete